We are unfortunately forced to suspend the normal club runs and training until further notice. Virtual alternatives will be arranged.
Under the guidance you can only meet up with one other person from outside your household for outdoor exercise. Travel for exercise is permitted, but only within the local area and not crossing tier boundaries.
The Committee will keep you up to date via Facebook and email.
Update: The Winter Handicap is currently suspended due to COVID-19.
Following on from the success of the Half Marathon Social Run, I am pleased to announce that the Winter Handicap will be running again.
This is a set of 6 runs over winter on the same mixed trail/road course, each runner is assigned a handicap and the idea is to beat it. Your handicap is then adjusted for the next event. You have to do 3 or 4 (if new to the event) runs to be eligible for the prize. Sadly last years event was truncated due to Covid and the final run was cancelled leaving a lot of runners ineligible for the points, therefore I will roll over the prizes!
This will be on Sunday mornings with the following dates (provisional after the 1st event). Start is Pangbourne Rec RG8 7BY
- Saturday 24th October – 9.30 am Familiarization run
- Sunday 25th October – 9.30 am Familiarization run
- WH1 Sunday 1st November – 1st runners away at 9.20 am
- WH2 22/11/20
- WH3 6/12/20
- WH4 17/1/21
- WH5 21/2/21
- WH6 14/3/21
The 25th October will be a optional familiarization run on an unmarked course. Please can I have some experienced runners to create facebook events (groups of 6) to guide new runners round. Pace will be that of slowest person.
The course will be the same as last year, with the minor change that we will be using the ‘wet weather’ version from the start (avoids the Thames Path which gets very wet)
This is a lovely 7 mile route starting from Pangbourne Rec, heading up to Purley, followed by a lap of Sulham Woods and a fast downhill finish. Trail shoes advised.
The course will be fully marked with flour and maps will be available
There will be a few changes made to make the event covid secure and following feedback from last years event.
- All competitors will have to sign up to Facebook events for each race (or email the club beforehand)
- Rough start times will be posted before each event so runners can time their arrival.
- Starting groups will be limited to 6, set off at intervals as usual
- All competitors must run with a mobile phone, there will not be marshals on the course. there will be a back marker.
This event can only happen with the help of some volunteers to mark the course and or timekeep. I have a markers guide with lots of photos!
The jobs each week are:
- Marking section 1: approx 2 mile linear stretch from Pangbourne to Purley, 4 bags of flour
- Marking section 2: Approx 2 mile loop in Sulham woods – 6! bags of flour
The marking jobs require you to be done by 9.20 am at the latest. There are no problems with marking and running if you are an early bird.
Hopefully this all makes sense! – please catch me on a Tue/Thur if any questions
Please save the dates and have a think about volunteering for one of the events.